1. Caleb means, “Faithful” or “Bold”. Joshua, meaning “God saves”, or “Jehovah saves”, is another form of the name, “Jesus”.
2. Caleb was a faithful, and bold, witness for the Lord. Joshua lives up to his name, in that his trust was in God, and not himself. When in Numbers 13 an evil report was brought to Israel by 10 of the 12 spies concerning the land which they were to inherit, only Joshua and Caleb did not join in, but rather charged the congregation, saying, “… neither fear ye the people of the land; for they are bread for us: their defence is departed from them, and the LORD is with us: fear them not.” (Number 14:9)
3. Caleb and Joshua were both steadfast in standing up for the Lord, even in the face of personal danger. When they charged the nation of Israel (above), all Israel wanted to stone them! “But all the congregation bade stone them with stones.” (Numbers 14:10a).
4. Having “stood up for the Lord,” the Lord then “stood up for Caleb,” saying of him, “But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.” (Joshua 14:24) His reward was THE LAND!
5. Having “stood up for the Lord,” the Lord then “stoop up for Joshua,” saying of him, “…at his word shall they go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he, and all the children of Israel with him, even all the congregation.” (Numbers 27:18-21). His reward was LEADERSHIP!
6. The Lord “double honored” both Caleb and Joshua, permitting them to enter the promised land, while forbidding all of the other (mockers) to do so. For we read the Lord saying, “Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me: Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD.” (Numbers 32:11-12)
7. Both Caleb and Joshua lived into old age, and their legacies live on today!
“Lord, make me like Caleb and Joshua, fearless, bold, and a courageous witness for you! For it is in Christ’s name that I pray, Amen!”